Here are some wonderful paintings by Virginia Peck of Buddha Heads. The video appears to have been made by Alexander Smolyaninov for his online (?) Contemporary Art Gallery at YouTube, where there are plenty of other contemporary artists treated in a similar style.
I am always happy to see artists reimagining the forms of the past, which shows that they are still alive and living in someone’s imagination. That is so much better than the rude and stylised copies of the past that we see in so many places today.
Each of Virginia’s Buddhas seems to have a personality of its own, and even though she has painted the same subject scores of times, each one is different. If you would like to own one for yourself, there are plenty for sale at her website: Virginia Peck.
Some Stills from the Documentary
Possibly Related Posts:
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Establishment of Buddhism in Sri Lanka
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Buddha makes Peace, not War
- Bhante Anandajoti: Bodhi Puja
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Buddha returns to his Relatives
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Story of Arahat Sāriputta