This is the third in a series of talks I am giving on the geography of Buddhism, which shows where the events in Lord Buddha’s Life took place, and how the Sasana developed thereafter.
In this talk I focused on the development of the Magadha state, from a small but influential kingdom in Lord Buddha’s time until it reached it’s peak with the Asokan Empire.
In the second half of the talk I discuss Asoka’s conversion, the third council and the Missions that Asoka sent out following it, focusing on the Mission to Sri Lanka.
There are numerous maps newly made to accompany the talk, and I have included illustrative photographs of early Buddhist art and murals of the Missions.
if this video is no longer available please leave a comment so I can update the page
King Devanampiya Tissa
Anula listens to Mahinda
Mahinda tell the King to bring Ven. Sanghamitta
Nuns and Bodhi Tree on Board Ship
Worshipping the Bodhi
Possibly Related Posts:
- More Audio Files added to Godwin’s Archives
- Unedited Archives of Acarya Godwin’s Retreat Talks
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Establishment of Buddhism in Sri Lanka
- Bhante Anandajoti: The Buddha makes Peace, not War
- Bhante Anandajoti: Bodhi Puja