Dhp 331-3 Māravatthu
The Good Things in Life
The Buddha is reflecting on whether it is possible for Kings to rule the world with justice. Māra, finding this out, comes to the wrong conclusion, and tries to tempt him. The Buddha explains what is truly good.
63. Atthamhi jātamhi sukhā sahāyā,
Tuṭṭhī sukhā yā itarītarena,
Puññaṁ sukhaṁ jīvitasaṅkhayamhi,
Sabbassa dukkhassa sukhaṁ pahāṇaṁ.
Having able companions is good,
Being content with anything is good,
At the end of one’s life merit is good,
Abandoning all suffering is good.
64. Sukhā matteyyatā loke, atho petteyyatā sukhā,
Sukhā sāmaññatā loke, atho brahmaññatā sukhā.
Filial piety for one’s Mother is good,
And filial piety for one’s Father is good,
Respect for ascetics is also good,
Respect for purified brāhmans is good.
65. Sukhaṁ yāva jarā sīlaṁ, sukhā saddhā patiṭṭhitā,
Sukho paññāya paṭilābho, pāpānaṁ akaraṇaṁ sukhaṁ.
Maintaining virtue till old age is good,
The establishing of faith is good,
The acquisition of wisdom is good,
Doing nothing wicked is also good.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Publication of the Entrance into the Light of the Dharma
- Creating New Tags in Html5
- Publication of Dharma-Sangraha, The Dharma Collection
- Uposatha Calendars 2017
- Summary of Publications during 2016