Halo Lights by KN Design
According to the traditional dating the Buddha was born in 624 BC, attained Awakening 35 years later in 589 BC and entered Paribbāna in 544 BC. It is from the latter date that we take the Buddhist Era (Thailand dates it as year 1, Sri Lanka as year zero).
Most scholars now think that the actual dates should be set approx. 100 years later (there is much difference in opinion), but the dates in any case should not be taken as hard and fast, but rather as agreed times for the purposes of celebrations, etc.
Christians may not realise that the same situation applies to Christ as there was a miscalculation in the early Church and it is now believed Jesus was born between 2 and 7 years before Christ 🙂
for years B.C. simply enter a minus sign
Possibly Related Posts:
- MS Word: Split Windows Vertically
- Resize images to Fit Browser Window
- Easy Reading in your Browser: iReader for Firefox
- Monastic Dawnrise and Midday
- Facebook Comments: Dynamic Urls on Static Pages