This is a short talk I gave at the Vivekavana Office on the 3rd day of Chinese New year, in which I talked about how to make everyday an auspicious day by developing four great qualities of mind, and illustrated it with stories from the life of the Buddha and modern forest monks in Sri Lanka.
The four qualities of mind, otherwise known as the Four Spritual States (Brahmāvihāra) are:
- Mettā : Friendliness or Loving-Kindness
- Karuṇā : Kindness to Others or Compassion
- Muditā : Appreciative Joy or Gladness
- Upekkhā : Equanimity or Even-Mindedness
The first three involve the deveploment of attractive states of mind, and the fourth prevents the development of unattractive states of mind.
Possibly Related Posts:
- More Audio Files added to Godwin’s Archives
- Unedited Archives of Acarya Godwin’s Retreat Talks
- Audio and Audiobook Recordings added to Asvaghosa’s Gold
- New Set of Godwin’s Talks Available
- The Life of the Buddha and his Disciples